Monday, April 7, 2008

I was reading a book today. I'll find the title and author of it and post them as well just in case anyone would find it of any use, but it stated that emotional scars are like shrapnel in your psyche. It went on to say that just as with physical injuries, without proper care of your psychological wounds, your body would not function properly in anything else. It is apparently like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound and then trying to go about one's daily life regularly.

The only reason I mention something like this is because today I was supposed to walk down the street and hand in my resume for a local business and wen I was walking down the street to do just that, I froze. It wasn't as if my feet stopped being able to move, but it may as well have been just that. I just got this overwhelming sense of dread, like I wasn't supposed to be there, doing that, at that specific time.

I know it was silly, and I'm going to turn back around tomorrow and actually go through with the process I was supposed to complete today. It just made me stop and wonder. My happiness has been such a fragile thing for awhile now. While there's no reason I can think of for it being so... who's to know? I think it's time to go looking for shrapnel, I suppose. But if there's anything there, and I do find it, will I have the time and means to deal with it, or just let it keep sitting there?

Just a thought.

2 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

Sometimes I think emotional scars are worse than a physical injury...we can see the healing of the physical...whereas...we think we have healed emotionally, and out of nowhere it comes back to haunt us big time!

Dealing with them has been best for me in small pieces at a time...and it has taken a very very long time.

Good luck tomorrow...

Mary said...

I agree completely! It's so much harder to know if something is truly healed when you can't see it, or if you can easily bury it. You don't know how much it's still there until it stops you dead in your tracks.

It may take a very long time for me to heal some or all of them, but I have a feeling it's an effort well worth it.

And thank you, very much, for your well wishes :)