Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cigarettes and coffee... a thought

I think, personally, that cigarettes and coffee were made to be enjoyed together. They don't seem quite right, one without the other, anymore.

Yes, yes, I know that I'm a horrible dirty smoker. One of those nasty habits I picked up in college when I was overly stressed about things that didn't even deserve a moment of attention... but I guess that's the way college is nowadays. You don't go to college for schooling, you go to college to try and grow up. And generally you do grow up, but usually not quite in the way you wanted, and in no way the manner you thought. Classes tend to get in the way of your growing process. I suppose that's why I stopped going. I can grow up on my own time and I don't need to fork over thousands of dollars just to live in a commune of people my own age, which doesn't, in any way, mirror the demographic of people I will likely be living in company with for the rest of my life.

In short, college was awesome, as much as college sucked. As one of my dear friends put it, "It was one of the best times in my life that I would never, for any reason or circumstance, ever live again."

But of course, one of the nasty little habits that held over from there was smoking (though I smoke more now than I ever did back then). Over active and destructive drinking, I thankfully left behind me. Now... I don't know really why I do it now, other than I find it relaxing. It helps me de-stress and handle things in life. The little things that would otherwise eat away at me. So I am quite confident that now is not the time to quit smoking, and as detrimental as it is to my health, it is something that I find very comforting. And health is one of those things that will fail from the very second it begins. Should I quit something that I find relaxing just to preserve a health that is failing anyway?

Who knows, but it's definately time for another cup of coffee.

4 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

Sweetie, smoking has its benefits, but I think the uglies out weigh them. I have been smoking on and off since I was 16, both of my children smoke...I think it very much does for my daughter what it does for you...helps her de-stress. My son said he started smoking when he worked at video store, and the best moments of the day were stepping outside to share a smoke with fellow employees...I somehow doubt his smoking will be conducive to hiking though.

As to coffee and a smoke...best combination there is.

But, I have to quit, being very near 50, I really don't want to end up like many of clients...toting around an oxygen bottle.

Mary said...

Aye, even if you're just sitting at home, stepping out for a cigarette just feels like a break. From what, I don't know. I do plan on quitting some day, because I know that I will not smoke if I ever get pregnant. And it's just so expensive these days.

I guess the reason I haven't yet is because everybody around me who doesn't smoke, or would rather I quit, is just SO obnoxious about it. I have always hated that. It just... makes me wanna smoke a cigarette.

Though I worry every time I cough or get out of breath.

Sunny Delight said...

It does feel like a break, and even at work, when I am really stymied I will sneak outside for a quick one, it helps me gather my thoughts.

I quit each time I was pregnant, and didn't start up again until the babies were weaned...somehow it is so much harder to quit when I am doing for just myself. But I did quit a few years ago, and felt so good...I must do it again...but those multiple morning cups of coffee will not be nearly so good if I do.

I know what you mean about the obnoxious nonsmokers...it does bring out a rebellious streak in me too.

the Bag Lady said...

Well now. Here's a post I can relate to!! Don't know quite how I ended up with all those health nuts reading my blog...don't dare admit the fog of cigarette smoke that surrounds me as I type!! ;)

I know exactly what you mean about the folks who nag at you to quit smoking (my hubby is one, even as HE fires up another one!)